Living in Another Country



Just some stray observations of things that are different here: 

  1. They drive on the other side of the road. But don't have a set side that you walk past someone on the sidewalk (I'm sorry, pavement). This has led me to almost run into people multiple times.
  2. The word pants. I have messed that one up SO many times. 
  3. There are no black beans. They don't appear to exist outside of Chinese black bean sauce.
  4. I have to go to like 3 or 4 different stores to get my groceries. 
  5. The beer is different (this is sometimes a big deal for a PNW native).
  6. Laundry is super expensive.
  7. Spending time with friends basically means going to a pub. Which means spending money. (Though we've done a few things that aren't that, pretty much everything involves drinking...)
  8. People actually drink a lot of coffee. And some of them love it as much as we do.
  9. Social tier is a much bigger deal. I see it being discussed in much the same way Americans discuss race. 
  10. For 'proper tea' (for most people) you always put in milk.
  11. Most people my age are well-dressed. The big difference in this one is that the boys are too. Like they look way sharp compared to most American boys my age (and I've seen more barbers than unisex/female hairdressers).
That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more things (in fact, I've had more things in my head before). We're going out tonight. I'm going to get plastered (I don't know if the Brits use that one... I haven't tried it in conversation). But since that's happening I'll end up slipping into my British accent, unintentionally. It sounds horrible and I actually really hate that I do it, but it happens. I need to start looking for a job and taking some photos again. I also need to work on this essay that I've done like nothing for. I'm a terrible person sometimes. I'm excited that I might be having visitors for New Year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment